Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Love Hate Relationship

I have a love/hate relationship with this not so attractive machine.
Probably for the last 10 years, every time Noah would get sick or just have a check up, a nurse or doctor would ask if we have a suction machine for Noah. We would always say "no" and that would be the end of the conversation. In the back of my mind I would always think, Noah isn't that sick. We don't need on of those machines. I hated the idea of using a machine that I would use to suck all the gunk out of Noah. How disgusting that even sounded.
Well, about January of this year the question came up again, "Do you have a suction machine for Noah?" "No" Instead of the conversation stopping there again, Noah's pulminologist decided that he would benefit from one. How devastated I felt. The machine was ordered and it was dropped by on our doorstep. I thought to myself now what do I do with this thing. It had no instructions, I was I supposed to know how to hook it up let alone know how to use this stupid thing. I wanted to throw it to the curb and never see it again!!! I took a deep breath and decided to look on the Internet to figure out how to hook it up and use it. Within an hour I had it hooked up and running. Now to actually use it......
A few weeks later Noah ended up with a cold. Well, here goes nothing. A prayer was said and I turned on that stupid machine and proceeded to suction out Noah's nose and throat. Hey, that wasn't so bad. I can do this!!!! I've since fallen in love with that stupid machine. Since I've used it on Noah he has yet had to be on a antibiotic when he gets a cold.
This last weekend Noah made himself sick by stressing out about a flat tire. (Yeah, I know what a silly thing to get stressed out about.) He ran a 104 fever and was very gunky. That stupid machine was used several times and along with his Vest and inhalers, he is now fever free.
Thanks to that stupid machine, there were no visits to the doctor or antibiotics. Noah has a reason to be his goofy self again and I've fallen in love with that stupid machine again.


No comments: